Thursday, November 01, 2007

Cairo



It is 12:50 A.M. here in Cairo, I awoke yesterday at 4:00 A.M. I will leave an hour from now at 2:00 A.M. to catch a flight to Luxor. I look around me and I see a strange man talking into a hand held computer microphone, laughing maniacally at times, and typing furiously with two fingers at others. Every once and a while he gets up to help somebody fix a computer, and to bum cigarettes from the customers. I am in the second floor of a three story shopping mall, all of which is abandoned, dark, and decaying except for this internet cafe. Outside the door is a dusty window in a dark corner, the space behind which is stacked with old manicans and cobwebs, a site truly fitting so near after Halloween. Strange stains cover most of the floor, and in the moonlight cast above the stairwell can be seen the decorative spirals and invading cobwebs of an iron rail a flight above. On the ground floor, sitting half hidden beneath the shadows of broken escalators, a guard sleeps quietly, one hand resting on his automatic rifle.
No longer do I pretend to know who I am, or what it is that I care about. My self has spiraled outward and I hope never to come back. I have seen the pyramids for the first time as they were intended to be seen. As a ray of light spreading itself from a single point above, onto the desert below, as a path into the sky. I know a real life awaits me somewhere, but apart from spells of panic, I know that thing which I once called myself, no longer to exist. I know from which single point I have come, and in my wake I leave only what decisions I made after whatever moments possesed me. Ahead of me, growing always wider is my path into the ground.


1 comment:

  1. You know, I wish I had something to say back, but this has left me speechless. Your description of the place, your thoughts, your desires, all just leave such an impression on me. I am really am speechless.

    ReplyDelete